Organisation: Uganda Railways Corporation (URC)
Reports to: Managing Director
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Uganda Railways Corporation (URC) is a body corporate established under an Act of Parliament to construct, operate and maintain railway, marine and road services both inside and outside Uganda for the carriage of passengers and goods. Starting in November 2006, the operations of URC were privatised by way of a 25-year concession to M/S Rift Valley Railways Uganda Ltd (RVRU). As a result, the mandate of URC changed from that of an operator to that of asset holder, concession monitor and advisor on railway technical matters.
Job Summary: As Head of Department the Chief Concession Officer will be the team leader for concession monitoring and evaluation executive and business planning.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Overall planning of concession monitoring and evaluation activity in line with Concession Agreement; prepare monitoring and evaluation data and information necessary for URC management to make informed decisions and to propose measures to procure positive improvement from the concessionaire
- Examine the concession business performance data and make suggestions for strategic interventions towards improving the concession performance
- Review the concessionaire’s submissions to URC
- Prepare quarterly and annual concession monitoring reports
- Maintain the Conceded Assets Account and generate periodic balances
- Collect data and prepare inputs for development of annual and strategic plans
- Prepare the corporation’s annual and periodic strategic plans
- Carry-out necessary investigations and studies on cost recovery activities; monitor all possible avenues for legitimate claim of concession fees and make recommendations for adoption by the Joint Railway Commission Verifying correctness of concession fees paid by the concessionaire. Day-to-day liaison with the Concessionaire
- Commission (JRC) Meetings
- Take minutes at JRC meetings-Corporation Secretary should be responsible for taking minutes and not the Concession Manager.
- Represent the Corporation on sector planning, monitoring and evaluation Committees
- Prepare the railway input to the Sector Annual Performance Report
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- A Master's Degree in Business Management, Economics, Engineering Statistics or related field.
- Knowledge skills and experience in at least three of the following core knowledge and competency streams; Business Analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Investment Analysis, Transport Engineering or Economics, Public Private Partnership (PPP) Management.
- General experience of at least 10 years, 3 years of which should be as a team leader or in senior position.
- Excellent communication Skills
- Planning and Organisation skills and experience
- Knowledge of statistical and econometric information systems (such as Design of experiments)
- Have a high level of self management and motivation.
- Statistical information systems, railway operations management, railway regulation and safety management.
- Public policy monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in the Public Sector.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
How to apply:
All interested candidates with relevant qualifications, experience and the core competences should submit their applications in a sealed envelope clearly indicating the position applied for addressed and delivered to the Office of the Managing Director URC, Plot 57, Nasser Road, P.O. Box 7150, Kampala. The applications should be accompanied with current CV, and indicate present position, current remuneration, and complete addresses of three (3) referees with working telephone contacts and email addresses. Certified copies of academic certificates and testimonials will be requested from only shortlisted candidates. NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.