Job Title: Regional Water and Sanitation Advisor (1657)
Career categories: Management
City: based in Kampala
Organisation: Samaritan's Purse
Theme: Water Sanitation Hygiene
Job years of experience: 5-10 years
Global - Samaritan’s Purse is growing!
The Regional Water and Sanitation Advisor (1657) will report to the Senior Water and Sanitation Advisor and assist in the overall water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) efforts of Samaritan’s Purse(SP).
This advisor will specifically focus on disaster relief, as well as training and capacity building of SP WASH field staff in monitoring, reporting of, and compliance with donor regulations.
This position will be based in Uganda, but will support our offices globally. Travel may be up to 30-40% of the time to support both field and disaster relief activities.
• Support WASH disaster relief efforts, traveling to the field, as necessary. Research and test water treatment technologies that could be implemented in the field. Assist logistics in prepositioning WASH relief items.
• Assist with visits to field projects and provide assessments/reports of current efforts. Work with field staff to integrate the spiritual aspects into each WASH intervention. Provide technical backstopping for WASH projects as needed. Consult with field offices on specific technical issues related to water, sanitation and hygiene programming, baseline surveys, monitoring and assessments. Build capacity of WASH staff in the field.
• Write and/or review WASH portions of grant proposals. Work closely with Regional Directors (RDs), Country Directors (CDs) and Program Development Department (PDD) staff in project development. Actively pursue grant/funding opportunities in current fields.
• Drive WASH program tracking and standardization by developing quality control and monitoring systems for all WASH projects. Develop and maintain database of WASH projects and statistics. Engage in sharing best practices (through providing training or resources) with staff while maintaining excellence in the WASH sector.
• Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
• Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
• Assess, manage, and report critical physical, emotional, or spiritual concerns of supervised staff.
• Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
• Bachelors or Master’s degree in Civil, Environmental or Water Engineering or related field.
• One year of college level Biblical studies strongly preferred.
• 5-10 years related experience living and working in developing countries; demonstrated success in cross-cultural situations.
• Expert knowledge and skills in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene as well as experience and expertise in community relations, mobilization, and sector training.
• High level of both written and verbal communication skills is critical to supporting staff in the field; must be able to write and/or provide constructive feedback on grant proposals.
• Willingness to live and work in very basic conditions for up to several weeks at a time.
• The desire and ability to mentor WASH field staff; build their technical and program management capabilities as well as encourage them spiritually.
• Experience in the grant/award process, a working knowledge of donor agency requirements and a working knowledge of logical frameworks and standard indicators is a plus.
• Must be attentive to detail.
24 month contract with the potential for renewal.
This position can accommodate a family.
: Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
The work of Samaritan’s Purse is marked by five distinct objectives, grounded in Scripture and biblical principles: Proclaim the Gospel - Exalt Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world Serve with Excellence - Exceed the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom Respond with Compassionate Action - Expedite our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister Demonstrate Biblical Integrity - Exhibit character and integrity personally, at home and work Walk in Bold Faith - Expect God to do the impossible-- “God Room”
How to apply:
In order to apply, please go to http://www.samaritanspurse.org/our-ministry/employment-listings/, click on "International Positions," click on "Regional Water and Sanitation Advisor (1657)" and click on "Apply Now" at the bottom of the page.
Job ID: #578188, Closing date: 31 Jul 2013